Thursday, November 29, 2007

Tobin is grounded!!!

Yesterday while Jonah was at preschool, i decided to do a little christmas shopping with Tobin. We were in the store just browsing around and after about 20 minutes in the shopping cart, Tobin started to get cranky (he hates shopping). I decided to take Tobin out of the cart and let him wander a bit to get his wiggles out. So for the next 10 minutes i was following him around the store not getting much christmas shopping done when something that i needed caught my eye. i stopped and looked at it for about 15 seconds (a long time when you count it out) then looked up to see that Tobin was gone (not really surprising). So i continued to wander to find him, but he wasnt anywhere. I started running up and down every isle around us shouting his name and asking anyone i saw if they had seen him. Nothing. Major panic settled in as i searched the entire store with no success; Thoughts started rolling through my head and i didnt even want to think about what might have happened to him. I ran to the front of the store to tell them that i lost my little boy when i noticed Tobin sitting in someones shopping cart at the front desk. i ran over to him and grabbed him into a bear hug while the woman asked if i was his mother. i told her i was and she told me that she found Tobin wandering around in the......PARKING LOT!!!! I started to cry. She told me that Tobin had walked up to her with his arms held out and she took him and brought him in the store hoping to find his mom. I thanked her a million times and held Tobin so tight that i was surprised he wasnt protesting. Of course Tobin gave me a look like, "hey mom, what's up". It took forever for my racing heart to calm down. I learned several good lessons yesterday. Especially that automatic doors WILL open for a little one year old body.

4 comments:

Wright's said...

I hate losing kids. I hate the total panic, and a million different images of your child suffering. I'm glad he was safe and I'm not the only mom who's had her kids go missing.

Liz said...

Oh my gosh. That would freak me out! It freaks me out just reading about it. What's weird is that Sara was just telling me the other day about a little boy wandering around their church parking lot with cars backing up and driving all over. What's with all these little wanderers?! :)

Brianne said...

Em, how scary. I am glad he was alright. Thank goodness there are still good people in the world today!!

Todd said...

We've been trying for years to get some of our kids to do that, but they are a bunch of wimps. So, we've decided we are going to leave the kids in the store and we'll go wandering around in the parking lot!